Easily send DRY diagnostic samples across borders
International shipping of equine
blood and other fluid samples for diagnostic testing used to be
difficult and costly. But now Zoologix offers dry card PCR
for our international clients. Blood or other fluids are simply
spotted onto the card's surface according to the instructions on the
back of the card and allowed to dry. Each dried card is then sealed
inside its plastic pouch and mailed to Zoologix.
Dry cards work well for international
handling of diagnostic specimens because...
- Liquid samples are perishable, but dry card samples
remain stable for weeks at room temperature.
- Liquid sample tubes are delicate, but dry card samples
- Liquid samples are bulky and heavy, but dry card
samples are flat and light.
- Liquid samples need costly packing and special handling, but
dry card samples ship in an envelope.
- Liquid samples can be infectious, but dry cards render
most pathogens non-infectious for greater safety in transit.
- PCR tests from liquid samples are highly sensitive, specific
and fast. PCR tests from dry cards are, too!
PCR from dry card samples is a rapid, specific and sensitive
technique for screening most infectious diseases of horses. Zoologix
performs tests for >40 different equine infectious diseases from dry
cards with a turnaround time of two business days
following arrival of samples at our lab.
Dry card sample collection
1. Never touch inside of card or inside of flap.
2. Lift flap only when sample is ready to apply.
3. Spot sample inside circle. For blood or other liquid samples,
apply sample until circle is full, but do not apply more sample than
the paper can absorb. For swab samples, collect with a dry, sterile
swab, then immediately rub swab firmly inside circle to transfer as
much material as possible to paper. Do not re-use the swab after it
touches the card. Use
multiple swabs if necessary to obtain adequate volume of sample to
4. Allow paper to dry completely, >1 hour, depending on humidity.
Do not use heat to dry. Keep contaminants away.
5. When dry, close flap. Write sample information in space
provided. Send to Zoologix.