Easily send DRY diagnostic samples across borders
International shipping of animal blood and other
fluid samples for diagnostic testing used to be difficult and
costly. But now Zoologix offers dry card PCR testing
for our international clients. Blood or other fluids are simply
spotted onto the card's surface according to the instructions on the
back of the card and allowed to dry. Each dried card is then sealed
inside its plastic pouch and mailed to Zoologix.
Dry cards work well for international handling of
diagnostic specimens because...
- Liquid samples are perishable, but dry
card samples remain stable for weeks at room temperature.
- Liquid sample tubes are delicate, but
dry card samples are unbreakable.
- Liquid samples are bulky and heavy, but
dry card samples are flat and light.
- Liquid samples need costly packing and special
handling, but dry card samples ship in an envelope.
- Liquid samples can be infectious, but
dry cards render most pathogens non-infectious for greater safety
- PCR tests from liquid samples are highly
sensitive, specific and fast. PCR tests from dry cards
PCR from dry card samples is a rapid, specific and
sensitive technique for screening many infectious diseases of
wildlife and zoo species. Zoologix performs tests for >100 different
infectious diseases from dry cards with a turnaround time of
two business days following arrival of samples at our
Dry card sample collection instructions:
1. Never touch inside of card or inside of flap.
2. Lift flap only when sample is ready to apply.
3. Spot sample inside circle. For blood or other liquid samples,
apply sample until circle is full, but do not apply more sample than
the paper can absorb. For swab samples, collect with a dry, sterile
swab, then immediately rub swab firmly inside circle to transfer as
much material as possible to paper. Do not re-use the swab after it
touches the card. Use
multiple swabs if necessary to obtain adequate volume of sample to
4. Allow paper to dry completely, >1 hour, depending on humidity.
Do not use heat to dry. Keep contaminants away.
5. When dry, close flap. Write sample information in space
provided. Send to Zoologix.